Sunday, December 16, 2007

Can you spell cold? F-R-I-G-I-D

Chris has planned for the day when he would get to take his daughters skiing, and yesterday, it finally arrived. The temperature in our car as we were leaving recorded a whopping outdoor temperature of -8*. Balmy. I don't enjoy the cold. Shoot, I'm cold in my own home. So the thought of standing in freezing temperatures all day long wasn't floating my boat in the least. But my girls were thrilled to be going. They had new thermal underwear and warm socks and were even excited to get up before 6 am.

I had originally planned on taking Kristen, but with the temps as cold as they were, I felt impressed to leave her with a friend. Thank you so much to Christine for watching Kristen ALLLLLL day long. I'm sure it was a long day for her.

Once we arrived at Copper Mountain we were quickly packed into a parking lot along with the hundreds of other vehicles. Then we began putting on layer after layer after layer (and another layer for me) of clothes.

We finally met up with our group and began to work with the girls, teaching them the finer points of skiing, getting on the "carpet", and falling over. Since I wasn't skiing but just along to "help", I was able to walk beside the girls and hang on to them as they manuevered their way down the hill. The run was pretty packed and not a very effective area for teaching. So instead, we headed to the top of the "green" (equating to easy) ski area. I was able to ride up in just my boots and without a ski pass to help. I thought my cheeks were going to freeze as we rode up the lift. Brrrrrr.

Chris and the girls were a couple of seats behind me and I was able to get a picture of them coming off the ski lift. That was my last picture of the day. It was too cold to keep taking my hands out of my gloves to snap a pic.

We slowly made our way down the hill. Cindy Molloy gave the girls some instruction and they improved immensely after that. I think it was actually easier for me to help them without skis on. For sure I would have had as much trouble as they did. Amy must have gotten motion sick on the chair lift, combined with a lack of food in her system and the cold, and she had a mighty headache all the way down the mountain.

Chris calls it their $35 run since that was the last of the day. They were cold and hungry and were pleased to hang out with me in the lodge for an hour and a half while Chris went to ski (the real reason I was a "helper" for the day in my humble opinion).

Will I do it again? Would you? I won't say no because guilt is a mighty fine persuader, but it won't be my idea.