Sunday, March 20, 2011

Amy's Toe

Last Saturday, all of the girls were outside playing with the neighbors enjoying a wonderful day of sunshine and Spring. They flew kits, jumped on the trampoline, ran around, played soccer--fun. Amy didn't complain too much about her injury until Sunday afternoon when she took off her church shoes and could hardly walk on her toe. I took a peek at her toe and noticed it was red and bruised on the end. I made sure it wasn't an infection that was causing her the pain and asked if she had done something to injure it.

She thought back to the day before when they were playing soccer and she had kicked the soccer ball smack dab straight on with her big toe. I told her that there wasn't a whole lot I could do, or even a doctor for that matter, for a sore, sprained or broken toe except to tape it to the toe next to it. We tried that, but as you can imagine, that didn't really take away a lot of the pain.

Monday she was up early getting ready for school and still complaining about her toe. I suggested that once she had her tennis shoes on with support, it should help. It must have been a pretty good kick because she came home Monday night and spent much of the evening languishing on the couch. She kept telling me that I could get crutches for her from King Soopers. I finally relented around 8 pm as the girls were going to bed and went to King Soopers to pick up some crutches. Learned something new: give them a $30 refundable deposit and they WILL lend you a pair of crutches.

Tuesday morning she was again getting ready for school but feeling a little more chipper about having crutches. As her time to catch the bus grew near, she wasn't moving quite fast enough. I saw one bus drive by and thought it was hers and that she had missed the bus. I agreed to drive her. As we got to the corner of our neighborhood, her bus pulled up. She still wanted me to drive her to school. I, unfeeling as I am, told her no that the driver would wait for her.

Fast forward to the end of the day. Amy's foot was markedly improved. I've had broken toes before, I know how much they can hurt. I think what helped was that she had a day off the toe to allow it to recover. New pain--armpits.

I returned the crutches Wednesday morning, but not before her sisters found a lot of reasons to use the crutches too.



A close up of a cute face!