Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Changes

Since the beginning of school, Kristen has been pretty unhappy.  She came home the first day crying because of being embarrassed, and it never went uphill from there.  It broke my heart every morning to push her out the door to school as she cried.  Besides the first day fiasco, she never seemed to mesh well with her teacher.  She told me she was scared of her.  I didn't want her to dread school for the entire year; she loved school until now.  After pretending to be sick last Tuesday, I finally called the principal and asked if she could be moved to another teacher's second grade class.  It was a pretty big step for her, and we had her pray that this was the right decision.

I am so glad she has moved.  The first day, Monday, was a field trip so of course she had fun.  Yesterday, she came home and the first words out of her mouth were, "I love my new teacher!"  I am relieved.

She met up with some classmates that she had in kindergarten and has already rekindled friendships or made new ones.  One of her old friends kept hugging Kristen all day long.  Kristen's comment, "It was like she was a tree hugger, but instead she was a 'me hugger'".