Saturday, September 22, 2012

London - Day 2

I stepped out from the Underground into delightful London.  My first view was of cobbled streets and cars being driven on the wrong side of the road.  It would take a little getting used to looking the other direction.  Even the pedestrian traffic was in a different direction.  I crossed the street.

Google maps outlined the walk to my hotel as only three minutes.  What do you know? It was only three minutes.  I arrived at the Doubletree by Hilton just before noon.  I waited in the Hilton Honors line.  As expected, our room, facing the Tower Bridge and the Tower of London would not be ready until 3 pm.  But, if I wanted to switch to a similar room on the 10th floor with a view of the Gherkin, I could check-in to that room right away.  The employee tried to convince me that looking at a building shaped like a pickle would be just as great.  I waffled a bit, and then decided because I was so tired that I would take the room that was ready.  As I walked in to the Gherkin-facing room and thought, "No, no, no.  This will not do."  Plus there was a building between me and the Gherkin that was in the process of being built and construction noise would not be desirable.

I gathered up all my stuff again and headed back down to the front desk.  After waiting for my turn again, I told the staff that the Gherkin view with its construction noise was not suitable, could I please have my original room.  They were most agreeable AND to top it off, the lady said that if I wanted, I could stay in the Gherkin-facing room until three and sleep if I wished.  Seriously?  I queried, "You don't mind if I stay in a room that is all ready cleaned?"  She replied, "You are our guest."  Wow, very impressive.  I headed back up the lift (elevator) to the tenth floor.  After connecting to the internet and checking in with family at home as well as with Chris, I drifted off to sleep.

By the way, this is the Gherkin building.  We used it many times as a landmark and point of reference.


Shortly after three pm, I woke up and returned to the front desk for the new room assignment.  Still the tenth floor but now facing the Thames and Tower Bridge (this was the bridge during the Olympics that had the Olympic rings on it).  A much better view indeed.



Trinity House in Trinity Square outside the window.


Chris had been working in Brighton, UK along the coast and took the train back in to London for the weekend.  He knocked on the door around 3:45 pm.  One of his first comments to me was, "I am glad you are here.  I am so proud of you for coming on your own."  I was pretty happy to be there too.

We got settled, and then headed out for the beginning of our adventure.  We ventured across the Tower Bridge and stumbled upon Hay's Galleria.




And now for a brief commercial break and an Ode to the iPad.  This was a view I often had of Chris.  I tell you, that iPad was a godsend throughout our trip.  We found our way back to the hotel, found places to visit, determined which Tube (Subway) to take, and talked to our children an ocean away.  Loved it.  Love him.


From Hay's Galleria we found ourselves at Victoria Square.  We hoped to attend an evening showing of Rock of Ages and had a quick pizza buffet at a restaurant there.  Also experienced our first moment with coins and a turnstile in the toilet.  30 pence.  It began drizzling while we had dinner but we hurried to the Shaftesbury Theatre in London.  Hmmm, not sure what to say about Rock of Ages.  Let's just say, it was not what I expected--the music was great.  We hopped on to the tube after the musical and headed back to the hotel.  The subway was packed with people out enjoying a Friday evening.

I say a lot about the travel skills and adventure planning of my husband, but he truly has talents in this area.  He'd not spent a lot of time in London yet he was a master with understanding the subway and where to get on, when to change, and how to get back to our hotel.  I love to travel with him.


We gratefully climbed in to bed at the hotel at the end of a long day for both of us. The girls were just getting home from school so we stayed up long enough to Facetime with them.  Technology is wonderful for sure.  I had no problem falling asleep in this new time zone.