As an early 40th birthday present for Christopher, I purchased tickets to IFly Denver in Lonetree. It is an indoor skydiving facility. We have driven past the facility many times and thought it might be fun to try. A 40th monumental birthday seemed the perfect opportunity for us.
We schedule our flight for 6 pm and had to arrive an hour early for training and getting our gear. The check-in process took some time, but we were soon directed upstairs to the "training room" where we watched a short video discussing proper form, hand signals, and clothing.
As we left the training room, we headed over to lockers where we stashed rings, watches, glasses, electronics, etc., and then received a jump suit, some funky goggles, and a helmet. We put our own shoes back on (close-toed in case you were wondering). We couldn't take any cameras in to the skydiving area, so we were sure to snap a few. Again, it is a good thing Chris has such long arms to accommodate all of us.
Each flight experience last 1 minute and we each had two flights. Amy went first in our family, then me, Misha, Kristen, and Chris. As I leaned in to the 90 mph wind in the chamber, I felt as though I could hardly breath and that my nostrils were being splayed across my face. They weren't, but that was some pretty intense wind. Each of us did quite well and followed the hand signals--straighten your legs, bend your legs, chin up, relax. Some people in our group, there were 14 of us, paid extra for the high fly option where the employee held on to you as the wind speed was increased allowing you to fly higher and higher. I can't imagine trying to breath at 120 mph!
Those goggles were pretty airtight against our cheeks. Made smiling a little weird.
Kristen tried to photobomb her dad.
Mom photobombing Kristen.
Misha photobombing Mom.
A word of warning. That mighty wind will make a mighty mess of knots and snarls in your hair. Make sure you tuck it all in. Even better, wear some kind of stocking cap or something to protect your hair. I even had mohawk hair poking up through the top of my helmet.






