Since visiting Boston a couple of years ago and seeing all the cool front door planters filled with kale, I have wanted to try it myself. I found a couple of kale plants and proceeded to plant two of the plants in pots by the front door and the other two plants in the bed by the driveway entrance. I watched the kale by the driveway to make sure it was thriving and suddenly noticed one day that it was a lot smaller and bare and....BEING EATEN BY THE STUPID RABBITS!!!!
Oh, I was so mad. Yet, I was the one dumb enough to plant rabbit food where the rabbits would have a hey day with it. They couldn't reach the kale in the planters, so no problem there. I was driving to take Amy to work when I noticed, but called Misha and asked her to pull the kale out of the bed and plant it in a planter. She stuck them next to the kale by the front door. I just wanted them moved out of the reach of the rabbits. The next morning, I moved the pathetic, pitiful-looking kale to pots on the deck. I hope to see them flourish there. They are still looking spindly and have that ravaged-by-rabbits look. Notice how lovely the one next to it looks?