Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Grandma Andrew's Pink Card

Kevin, Candace and their children drove to Colorado to join us for Christmas this year.  They are living in a rental right now until their new home is finished and felt it the perfect time to spend Christmas with family.  They had begun their journey to Colorado last Saturday and spent time with cousins and friends along the way.  We had planned to meet at the temple on Wednesday evening to start the temple work for Grandma Andrews. 


We dropped Kristen off at Ball's friend's home while Chris, myself, Misha, Amy (along with Lexie John who was with us for the day) headed back to the temple.  Misha's temple recommend was expired so Chris waited with her while the workers at the temple called Bishop Briggs so that she could still come into the temple.  While they were waiting, I took Grandma Andrews paperwork that we had printed from the computer to the recorders office where they printed off a pink temple card for her.


As they handed me the pink card, my eyes teared up.  "Grandma, you're in the temple now."  It was a very touching moment for me as I knew that she was with us and had been waiting for us.  I walked out to the entry where Chris and Misha were waiting and showed them the card.  Chris and I were both close to tears.

The Baptistry was getting busy, so I took Grandma's name to them to get in line for her turn.  Misha was going to stand as proxy for Grandma during the baptism with Kevin performing the ordinance.  Since Amy was still recovering from her wisdom teeth surgery, she would be proxy for Grandma during the confirmation with Chris performing that ordinance.

As it came time for Misha to step into the font, those of watching, moved to the front of the small waiting area so that we could witness the baptism.  Even now as I type this, the emotions of that moment are still fresh. 

Later, as Christopher placed his hands on Amy's head in Grandma's place to be confirmed, I was overwhelmed with emotion.  Chris' voice caught as he began the confirmation ordinance.  Such an amazing moment.

We waited for the workers in the Baptistry to take Grandma's pink card to record the baptism and confirmation.  The card was then returned to me and I became proxy for Grandma in the next ordinance.  Tears were so close.  The sisters assisting me asked who the card belonged to.  I replied that it was my husband's grandmother.  I have done many temple ordinances for people who have died that I don't know, even for distant family members, but this was the first time participating in ordinances for someone that I knew and loved.  It was amazing.

As I finished my part, I asked if the sisters could then take the card to the recorders office so that I could then give it to Candace to take back to Texas where she would be proxy for Grandma in the endowment. 

While I had been in the temple, Kevin and Candace went back to their friend's home to pick up the younger kids and Kristen.  Chris was at Deseret Book with Amy, Misha, and Jonathan.  I walked over to meet them and enjoyed the peace of a beautiful evening..

Following our before-Christmas family tradition, we went to Olive Garden for dinner.  They now have call-ahead seating (which we didn't know about), so we ended up waiting over an hour for a table for 11.  While waiting, Chris, Amy, and I went to Target to pick up a few groceries and last minute Christmas items.  We still had time to wait as we returned.

We returned home with the Balls, situating them in their rooms.  Kevin and Candace had Amy's room since it had the Queen bed, Ashley slept in Kristen's room, and the three boys--Jonathan, Jeremy, and Joseph--took over Misha's room.  Amy and Misha retreated to the basement guest room where they slept on the foam mattresses.