Out of all the things Amy wanted for her wisdom teeth experience, being funny while under the influence was high on her list. Let's just say, she didn't disappoint, and someday when she's feeling a little better she might just laugh at the video we took.
She had to be at the Longmont Oral, Facial, and Implant Surgery Center by 7:50 am Monday morning. The fog, road conditions, and an accident slowed us down so that we were 5 minutes late, but we made it. Once we arrived, Amy didn't have to wait too long before being called back to room 3 for the procedure. She was set up with oxygen, an IV, and blood pressure monitor. I was able to stay with her until Dr. Andrus came in and finished the IV and was ready to start the extraction. Always hard to walk out of the room leaving your child behind.
I sat in the waiting room for about an hour. If I were to have such an office, I would create a more comfy waiting space for parents. Just saying. Amy was in the process of waking up when I was called back to her room. She had a hard time waking up after her appendectomy, so I figured this might be a similar experience. I think it was a little easier on her this time, but she was still pretty groggy and took about 30 minutes to be awake enough to send her on her way.
As we waited, she started to get the chills and she was pretty teary. I took off my jacket and put it over her top half and covered her legs with her jacket. I figured since I had been wearing mine it would already be warmed up. The nurse explained that they had had to remove the fingernail polish on one of Amy's fingers to get the pulse ox to work. More on that later.
Amy was taken down to the front door in a wheelchair while I went to fetch the car and bring it around. The nurse and I settled Amy in to the front seat with the seat warmer on and a blanket tucked around her body. And we were on our way. Amy had gauze packed between her teeth but I caught the word milkshake in her first sentence. It took a repeat or two until I figured out that she wanted a chocolate milkshake from Chick-fil-A.
I mentioned that we would get her home and put some frozen bags of peas and corn on her face to minimize the swelling. She started crying then, "But I don't like peas." And then she saw her fingernail with the polish removed and cried some more, "But that was my favorite finger." I asked if they had removed the polish from another finger that she would have been okay with that, and she sobbed yes.
After leaving Chick-fil-A, Amy spied the cherry on top of her milkshake. "Who put a cherry on it?" and she cried some more. Poor girl. I pulled over to take a short video of the cherry moment. There were more funny moments as we drove home. I especially liked that she said "Bye car" as we stepped in to the house.
I motioned to Kristen to record our progress up to Amy's room. Amy saw Kristen in her penguin pajamas and said, "Why is she wearing penguins? I don't like them. I don't like her!" I had Kristen change. "Why are you guys laughing?" I tucked Amy in to her bed, fed her a few bites of milkshake. She played with her lip, flipping it, "I can't feel it." I got her started on vicodin and penicillin, changed the bloody gauze in her mouth (much to her dismay), and applied ice packs. She slept for a little while.
After waking up, she was becoming a little more coherent and asked for the laptop to watch movies. I moved her to my room where she could watch tv and where I could be close to her later in the night as she slept. (Chris had left earlier in the morning for California).
She ate a bit of food throughout the day, finishing off her milkshake and eating little bits of bread. Around 1 pm she was mostly back to her Amy self. I told her some of the funny things she had said, she smiled a bit, but I think we'll wait a day or two or a week until she has more of a sense of humor.
By dinner time she was able to get up and come downstairs for dinner, eating a little bit of soup, a Ritz cracker or two, and some Lactose-Free Ice cream. She slept in my bed and did pretty well. I woke her up around 4 am to give her some meds--didn't want her to wake up in excruciating pain.