Sunday, July 3, 2016

Coast to Coast - Day 12

Sunday, July 3
Lucky me, I woke up at 3:15 am.  I was awake for about an hour and fortunately fell back to sleep.  We had church at 10 am which was perfect for not having to get up too early.  Grandma had time to make some pancakes and bacon which was handily eaten by my crowd.

Church on Anderson Island was held in a home that had been rented to house the branch here.  It had been recently renovated after a water leak from the fridge in the kitchen.  This was the second week that church was back to meeting in their building.  There was seating for maybe 50 people in the basement "Chapel" with overflow on the main floor.  Those in the overflow were able to watch the meeting via closed circuit tv.

During the testimony meeting, I made note of a few thoughts that I liked:  1) The road to Christ begins wherever you are; and 2) if you were sent to earth to be a tulip, life would be easy.  But you were not sent to earth to be a tulip, you were charged with a greater mission of knowing and becoming like God.  I enjoyed all of the meetings today.

We returned to Grandma's for a lunch of chili, grilled cheese, fruit, and veggies.  The weather was beautiful and allowed us  to sit out on the deck.  






Grandma introduced her scooters to the girls.  They were delighted.  Kristen finally got to have her turn riding the scooter after Amy and Misha.  As she and Grandma returned to the house, Kristen had tears running down her face.  Her hair was a mess and filled with greenery.  Apparently she had taken a tumble trying to navigate a corner and landed in...stinging nettles.  Her body was already covered in a raised rash every place she had come in contact with the nettles and she was indeed stinging.



We carefully picked all of the greenery out of her hair and clothes and began to apply some lidocaine.  Poor thing.  She was in pain from the stinging nettles as well as from scraping her arms up.  I suppose it was better that she fell on the green soft stuff rather than the recently chip-sealed road though. Maybe. She probably wouldn't agree.

After the lidocaine, we applied a paste of baking soda and water.  I gave her a substantial amount of Benadryl hoping it would just knock her out.  She looked a sight and laid out on a sheet on Grandma's chaise lounge.  After awhile, she just wanted to get in the shower and get cleaned up.  We applied more lidocaine a couple times throughout the evening, and the stinging finally went away.


Linda took Chris and I on a tour of the island, leaving the girls at the house to have some quiet time and to watch Netflix.  We were gone for a couple of hours checking out the different amenities of the island.






As we returned home, I noticed Kristen wasn't watching movies anymore.  She had crawled in to our bed and was fast asleep.  Since it was still fairly early in the evening, I got her up to eat.  She watched Grease with the family, but was happily tucked in and fast asleep as we all headed off to bed.  I suppose the fact that I gave her more Benadryl helped her conk out shortly after hitting the pillow.