Tuesday, July 5
After our whirlwind days in Washington, DC and New York City, it was lovely to have peaceful relaxing mornings on Anderson Island. I gave myself a break from exercise during this vacation and just enjoyed another quiet morning. Once I get home, I'll get back in to the swing of my routine.
After breakfast, the kids took off in different directions to play. Kristen corralled some of them to play Scattergories, followed by two scavenger hunts, one from Ashley, and one from Kristen. Kristen had worked on her planning for days so I strongly encouraged my older girls to participate. Once they got involved they inspired a healthy amount of rivalry. I heard them racing to the end of the hunt with Amy and Joseph (partners) in the lead, followed by Misha and Ashley.
We had tried to coordinate a visit to see Chris' sister, Lori, who lives about an hour and a half away from Anderson Island, but Linda scouted out the ferry line and thought that with the current lines of cars, we wouldn't likely get off the island until later in the afternoon.
Chris worked on ordering the dock for our beach at home. Both he and Kevin helped with projects around the house. It was not warm, but Kristen was determined to use the swimming suit she had been packing around from coast to coast the past two weeks. She loaned her second suit to Ashley. Uncle Kevin was kind enough to hold the hose for an impromptu water slide (with the occasional bit of spraying). That water had to have been cold. But Kristen and Ashley had fun.
All but Grandpa, Amy, Misha, and Jonathan (cousin) went on a hike later in the afternoon. The younger kids were more than happy to get out and hike and burn off some energy.
We sat around the fire pit on the deck later in the evening. It was good to spend a holiday with family.