Thursday
Our last full day in Malta. It was sunshiney still but a little cooler. I had capris that I should have worn the day before, but decided I would wear them today since the rest of our trip in France would be cooler weather. I should have worn pants. Oh well.
We had a lovely breakfast in the hotel restaurant and enjoyed the outdoor seating and yummy buffet. Good thing I don’t eat like that most mornings.
We opted for a taxi directly to Marsaxlokk (Marsaschlock) instead of an hour bus to Valletta and then a change to another bus to Marsaxlokk. Our driver got us there in no time, offering to take us around the rest of the island for $35/hour. We thought that was excessive and declined his offer.
I loved the boats in the harbor and took pictures while Chris soaked up some sun.
The tourism office was on the far side of the harbor and we made our way there to ask questions about the hop on hop off bus. There were two companies running buses, but only one would allow you to change from their South tour to their North tour without extra cost.
We had to return on the South tour bus to Valletta before catching the North tour bus there. There were two cruise ships in port today, so the small city was over run with tourists.
After walking around for a bit, up and down hilled streets, we found a little place for lunch off the main pathway—The Old Bakery—both ordering a Margherita pizza. It was beginning to be a little more overcast as we made our way back down the glass elevator to the bus stop and the North tour bus. We sat on top of the bus for the view, but it was definitely chilly as we were driving between cities where the bus drove at higher speeds.
We wanted to get off at Mdina (Im-dina) as Sharon, our waitress from last night, mentioned that it was a beautiful fortress city set up on a hill. I loved Mdina. It reminded me of some of the French and Italian cities we have toured, with stone walls and walkways, beautiful doors and windows, impeccably clean streets, horse and buggy rides, and people who actually lived within the walls of the fortress.
It was getting dark and much colder shortly after Mdina. The tour was winding down, but we still had quite a ways to go before returning to our hotel. The bus driver came to find out where every one had stops and then proceeded to drop people off along the way.
Chris and I finally left the outdoor seating on the top of the bus for the warmer, restricted views inside the bus. It was almost dark though, so it was time to warm up.
We had massages scheduled for 8 pm and went in search of food, finding a Mediterranean restaurant not too far from the hotel. Unfortunately they didn’t have any falafels left. Chris ordered a meal there and I went in search of something else nearby. I found another Mediterranean restaurant close by that was just in the process of making more falafels. Chris got his food to go, and joined me at the second restaurant.
The foot part of my massage was the most delightful. The rest of it rather too much pressure, but I am pretty sensitive to deep pressure. I went with it because I figured my muscles could use the work.
I would have expected that I would have easily fallen asleep, but both Chris and I were wide awake for a time. It gave us a chance to talk with the girls.






