Monday, November 12, 2018

Day 1 - Malta and France

Monday

I wasn’t too disappointed that Chris and I were leaving Colorado snow for Malta on Monday morning. I shoveled snow off the front sidewalk, the part that didn’t get melted off by the early morning sunshine. Chris dropped of some paperwork to our neighbors before leaving. I got Amy up around 10 so that we could leave at 10:45, hoping to stop at Costco for gas and for a few groceries for the girls while we were gone.

Amy said goodbye to us on the West side of the airport drop off with instructions that she was only to drive the Pilot, not Dad’s Audi. We checked in and then made our way to the Executive Lounge for a quick bite to eat. We only got one upgrade on the flight to Newark and Chris kindly gave it to me. The flight was fairly uneventful until we landed. Our gate was not available so we taxied for at least 20 minutes and then sat on the tarmac for another 30 minutes waiting to offload. We were finally given a new gate which was actually closer to our departure gate to Frankfurt, Germany, but we had sat for so long on the tarmac that our flight was already in the process of boarding as soon as we arrived.

We had middle seats on our next flight, but it was business class so I wasn’t too disappointed. The disadvantage being in the middles means having to climb over people mid flight and while they are sleeping to use the bathroom. The German guy who boarded on my side of the aisle and assigned to the seat next to me got after Chris for taking his overhead space even though there was an open bin right next to the one he was looking at. This same guy then proceeded to creep me out for the rest of the flight. If I had known that he was going to be such a creeper, I would have changed seats with Chris before Chris fell asleep.

This dude was seriously unnerving. Every time the flight attendant came by, he would tell her how beautiful she was and that he just needed a little kiss to make things perfect. Add to that, he would turn and stare at me every so often. I did my best to ignore him. Hard though when he was encroaching on my space with his arm on the arm rest as well.

The dinner was ok. My ice cream had been flash frozen and was hard as a rock when it was served to me. I waited to see if it would melt a bit, but finally managed to eat it with a fork.


When the guy next to me finally settled down to sleep, he lay on his side facing me with his hand on the arm rest. Every couple of minutes he would touch my arm with his finger. I finally grabbed a pillow and put it between his hand and my arm and moved my other pillow so that he could no longer see my face. Ewwww. I stayed awake until he fell asleep and then slept right through the morning breakfast service. (Not too much to miss though since it was my midnight and I wasn’t ready to eat yet).