Friday, February 1, 2019

God Does Answer Prayers

Amy has been having struggles with roommates lately, adding that to the challenge of college life with studying, completing homework and assignments, and creating balance, she has been weighing heavy on my heart over the past week as I have prayed for her, given counsel, and tried to be supportive and lift her spirits.

As she texted me yesterday, "My day is already off to a bad start," I continued to pray for her, especially as she was finding out her latest calculus grade later in the day.  I responded, "It doesn't have to stay that way."  And all along God was working His miracle in her life.

As she walked in to her religion class, a new friend had left the neatest note and treat for Amy. "He is perfectly positioned to lift and give us the strength we need to endure our afflictions.  We have only to ask."


Her day simply reminded me of this quote by Spencer W. Kimball, "God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom" (Chapter 8: Selfless Service, "Teachings of Presidents of the Church", (2006), 79–88).

As her day continued, she received great feedback on an English paper she was working on, and she texted:  I GOT 95 ON THE TEST...Today is shaping up.

Roommate challenges were turning around with an apology.  And because I was still praying for Amy, I texted her:

Mom:  That just brought tears to my eyes.  God knows you sweetheart AND he hears and answers prayers.

Amy:  Yes he does.