Sunday, May 7, 2023

Costa Rica - Day 7

Chris and I were up extra early. Chris had booked a hike at Sensoria: Land of Senses and Magical Rainforest. We had breakfast at 6:30 am and were on our way in the rental car by 7:20. It would take us just over to hours to reach the rain forest in time for our 9:30 am tour. 

Since it was Sunday morning, we listened to a Come, Follow Me podcast and a session of General Conference. 

We arrived right on time for our hike to waterfalls and through the rain forest with Joaquin our guide. 


He was a wealth of knowledge about the rain forest and area and kept his eyes open for things we might want to see (or avoid). I know my mom wouldn’t appreciate the pics of the snakes we saw along the way, one itty bitty white pit viper as well as a much larger pit viper. Rest easy, they are usually calm. Yikes. 

We hiked to the first waterfall, took pictures, and then continued on to 3 or 4 more falls and pools. At the end of the hike, we enjoyed a 75° pool and ended up at last in the hottest of the pools at 85°. Since it was cooler in the mountains, the pools were a nice treat.






We climbed up to a viewing platform where we could see Rincon de la Vieja, a water volcano, that had recently erupted and was still steaming. It has magma below the surface of water.



Chris got a shot of the volcano as we were flying out of Costa Rica.


After returning to the main house at Sensoria, we changed out of our wet clothes and were then served lunch before starting on our way back to Andaz. As Chris and I were walking to the car, I spotted a huge snake. Huge. I turned and called, “Joaquin. There’s a snake.” He, along with another tour group, came and crowded around the snake. The guides tried to keep people back, but you can’t fix stupid people. And they were prime specimens. The boa constrictor tried to get away from the group. I was just happy to be on our way. Ugh, I hate snakes. 

We arrived back at Andaz around 5 pm with just enough time to get ready for the evening reception and dinner at the beach house on property. We had to take a 20 minute shuttle to reach the beach house. 



That’s lots of shuttling when you have so many people, but the beach was set up with tables and lights and lots of food, lots of available drinks, and people enjoying the last night together before all but Chris and I left Monday morning.