Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Basement Flood

After sorting through all of the bins of clothes and selecting items for Kristen for the fall, it was time to put everything away.  I picked up the first bin of jeans and headed downstairs.  Much to my huge dismay, I spied standing water in the basement guest room as I reached halfway down the stairs.  I yelled to the girls to call Chris.  Fortunately he was in state; unfortunately, it would take him about two hours to get home from Colorado Springs.

I immediately called Dave, the construction manager, and Andrew the builder.  Dave brought a pump from the swimming pool and put it in the window well of the guest room.  The window well was full of at least a foot of water, and you could tell by the marks on the window that it had been higher.  Not surprising since there was water all of the floor and an inch deep in some places of the guest room corner of the basement.  Fortunately, it hadn't spread too much further.




Amy and Misha immediately started helping me unload the bedroom.  We had it set up with the queen bed and dresser, plus a lot of extras that we hadn't found places for yet.  The large dining room rug was saturated.  I had the girls help me carry it outside and dumped it under the deck.  It was raining, but hey, what was a little more water going to hurt!?

I had never used the shop vac for water removal and had Chris talk me through the set up and removal of the filter.  I didn't want the water to sit too long for fear of seeping through to the crawl space more.  It took awhile to suck all of the water up, but I was finishing the last of it when Chris arrived home.

We set up fans, carried the carpet upstairs to the deck to air it out, and was grateful that the flooding hadn't been worse.  Apparently the landscaper had blocked a drainage path from the downspouts and the water had nowhere to go but in to the window well.  I was impressed that he apologized (since the builder was quick to absolve himself from any responsibility).

Chris and Misha spent some time outside making sure the drainage was having the rain in the correct direction.  I think they enjoyed the time playing in the mud a bit.  There were times when Chris sank so deep that he thought he might not free himself or his boot was sucked right off his foot.  So ready for landscaping.