Sunday, July 20, 2014

Kayaking the St. Vrain

For Misha's date with her dad, she wanted to kayak down the river.  Chris strapped the kayaks to the top of the car (a little precarious I might add) and I drove with them to the drop off point on 119 around 4:30 pm.  I figured it wouldn't take them too long to reach our house, but it actually took them a couple of hours.  They had to portage around a tree and scout out an irrigation diversion dam with its spillway to make sure it was safe.  After about two hours, they finally floated by the house.  I heard Misha yell, "Mom," to make sure I noticed them. 

They floated a little further to the bridge where they could then easily get out of the river.  They transported the kayaks over the road and into the lake where they then paddled back to our house.  Misha (and Chris) were all smiles when they arrived.  Tired, but they were smiling.