Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Eve

There was a little last-minute shopping today, present wrapping, and cooking.  The girls were fantastic at helping me cook for Christmas dinner so that I didn't have quite so much to do on Christmas day.  Amy and Misha made our pumpkin dessert.  Kristen helped with the creamsicle jell-o and chocolate pie. I made rolls.  So great to have girls that will help.

Chris and Misha and Kristen headed out later in the afternoon to pass out some neighbor/friend gifts.  He wasn't able to deliver all of the gifts--a popcorn cup, package of microwave popcorn, and a redbox code.

We headed to dinner at Johns around 5 pm with rolls, pumpkin pie, and mashed potatoes.  Jamie always sets a wonderful table and our kids enjoyed the time with friends.  We had a gift exchange for the smaller kids and a White Elephant gift exchange for the older kids and adults.

As we returned home, the girls were excited to begin with the final Christmas Eve tradition of bringing all of the wrapped presents out to place them under the tree.  I usually keep most of them stashed in a cupboard until Christmas Eve, and it has turned in to a fun tradition to see the presents piling up.

I did have some gifts already under the tree this year.  I think that was a mistake.  First, there was the child who counted the gifts under the tree and lamented that there were only two for her.  Then, kids checked out the packages and I often heard, "I know what this is!"  Don't ruin surprises.  That's the cardinal rule for Christmas.  So next year, very few packages will be under the tree for perusal before Christmas Eve.

Chris had the "big" presents to bring in.  We talked with Santa this year and told him that his presents to the girls were going to be downsized and the "big" presents were going to be from mom and dad this year.





"Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night."