Saturday, January 10, 2015

Amy's Driving Permit

You had to know that once her certificate came, there was no question that she wanted to take the permit test the next day!  She made an appointment on line, I signed her out of school a half an hour early, and we headed to the DMV on Friday afternoon.  Only to find out that we needed to have some kind of identification.  Crap!

So, being the kind mom that I am, we drove home, retrieved her passport, and returned once again to the DMV.  We didn't have an appointment any longer, so we just had to wait.  But it was getting close to closing time for them.  They asked for all people interested in taking a drive test to come forward and they would facilitate them quickly. 



Good thing I was with her.  I pushed her forward to the counter again to get in line.  She was set up on a computer and in no time was walking away giving me a thumbs up sign.  Yay!  Then we had more waiting for all the picture-taking.  That was just as long of a wait.

Finally, close to 5 pm, we walked out of the DMV with a temporary driver's permit in hand.  Since it was snowing, getting dark, and time for rush-hour traffic on a Friday afternoon.  I told her I was driving home.



I did stop once we got to Firestone and let her drive home from Dominoe's Pizza.  We have to drive on a two-lane road with narrow shoulders and lots of trucks.  It made me just a teensy bit nervous to hand over the keys. 

Amy's first inclination was to hug the shoulder as much as possible.  I tried to tell her in as unstressed a voice as possible that she needed to do her best to stay between the lines.  Trust that the oncoming cars were going to stay between their lines. 

We made it home.  Whew.