Thursday, April 30, 2015

Landscape - Front Yard

So our front yard has been undergoing a bit of a facelift as well.  Last fall we planted a lot of shrubs and grasses.  Most survived the winter, but there are a few yet to be replaced.  At the front of our lot, the original owner had created a berm and planted six trees on each side (one died, so we had a total of 11).  It was a little much, so we decided to keep three trees on each berm and then transplanted the rest throughout the yard.  When I say we, I don't mean that Chris and I dug the holes.  We'd still be digging if that were the case! That was the Mike's landscaping company and their handy machines--though they did dig some holes by hand.  I noticed the other day that the workers don't wear gloves.  My hands would be raw if I went without gloves.






And what I was most excited about was the 15 or so other trees--deciduous, pine, and spruce--that were delivered last week.  I'm looking forward to leaves in the summer and the color in the fall.




The landscape company also gave our front entrance a makeover with a nice rock entry.  We will have to have two columns built flanking the driveway, but that'll come later next month. They will have our address on them as well as solar lights.  All driveways will have the columns at some point.




The biggest transformation came with the mulch. And that was a job that Chris and I undertook with a bit of Misha's help.  (Amy had a tennis tournament and Kristen did chores in the house).



We spent almost all of Saturday moving mulch.  We had to take breaks for Amy's tennis tournament and Kristen's dance recital, but it was still at least eight hours of mulch-moving, back-aching work.  What were we thinking buying 1.5 acres?

After:



We have a bit of our mulch still to move (the pile behind the tree).