Colorado has been under a deluge of rain during the month of May. I will admit that it has added a whole lot of stress to my life. Not only do I daily check for leaks within my home, I watch as the river and lake rise and fall.
Two weekends ago, it was discovered that the levee between the river and the lake was breaching. It was a miracle really that it was discovered at that moment. If it had been even 15 minutes later, the destruction could have been devastating. Our neighbor hurried to the breach with his landscaping equipment and was able to stop the breach and throughout the day, larger equipment was called in to shore up the wall.
What I actually loved about that day was the camaraderie of neighbors helping neighbors. I tried to text our next door neighbors but realized that I didn't have their phone number. As Chris was returning from putting our kayaks in the storage container, I suggested that maybe he would go over to Harberts and just move their canoe and beach stuff. He immediately headed over. In no time at all, Steve H was out helping Chris. And Grams, Harberts next door neighbor, came out to help as well. It was a great sight to see.
It continued to rain off and on all that day. We watched the river steadily rise, and we prayed...all day long. We asked our families to pray. We wanted safety, but a big concern was that we simply could not afford another clean up and repair similar to when the floods hit in 2013. We watched as they parked the heavy equipment out of harm's way, but close enough to be used if needed. Two of our neighbors watched the levels of the river and checked the levee all night long. And then it started to snow.
We averted disaster that day, but the rain has not stopped throughout this month. I still make routine checks of the basement. The lake has risen and is at least eight inches above many of the docks. We pray for sunshine.
Two weeks ago:
Today:









