I was leaving the elementary school parking lot on a Thursday afternoon and had pulled to a stop waiting to turn out of the neighborhood. I had a car full of kids. The crossing guard was letting the kids cross the street, so we were all stopped, except for the lady who drove behind me and suddenly crashed in to my car. CRAP!
I signaled to her to pull around the corner and fortunately, she followed me. As she climbed out of her car, she had her license, registration, and insurance documents in hand. "I'm sorry. It was my fault." (Hmmmmm, has this happened before?) I started texting Chris (who was in London and going to bed soon) while also taking pictures of the girl's documents and our vehicles.
I called the police and just clarified that I didn't need to have them come. They confirmed that I didn't need police assistance unless there was severe damage or bodily damage. She had hit me with a resounding thud, but the trailer hitch took most of the impact. Sadly, it broke Chris' BYU hitch attachment.
While I was taking care of business here, Chris called our insurance for me and got stuff rolling. An ocean away and even there he can take care of us.
I finally got the kids delivered safely home and talked to their parents just to let them know what had happened and to watch for any signs of whiplash. (I don't think we were hit hard enough fortunately, but we needed to cover all of the bases for our insurance.)
I made an appointment with an auto body shop for the following week. I am always amazed at the cost even a small bump can cost. To me, the damage was minimal, but you never know what might be hidden behind the bumper. We'll get it looked at just to make sure.
