Saturday, June 4, 2016

Mud Swallows

Almost like clock work, the mud swallows began to show up around June 1st.  I remember them being particularly plentiful two years ago when we first moved in, somewhat bothersome last year, and downright pesky this year.  They started to build their nests against the stucco on the west side of the house.

They were so noisy with their nest making that they woke me up a number of times, especially in the morning.  In my reading about them, I learned they like to pick a home and stay there.  There was no way I was going to let that happen.  I honestly prayed that they would return to their home under the bridge a half mile away.

And then Misha and I got busy with the pressure washer.  That is, after waiting for Christopher to wake up.  He was in Australia and woke up around 2 or 3 pm our time.  We needed instructions on how to start the pressure washer.  Misha was happy to spray for me as I checked around the house and found all the spots the swallows had started to build nests.  We took down a few wasp nests as well.

Seems as though destroying their mud nests did the trick.  I keep watching to see if they will build more, but they appear to be gone now.

There is a bird nest in the fireplace outlet, but Chris will have to remove that when he gets home as it is out of our reach.