So I have this love/hate thing with vacuums. I like to vacuum. I like to have a clean floors. I hate having to buy a new vacuum because I have this track record of going through them. In fact, we had one version or another of a Dyson for a number of years. I liked that the Dyson was light and maneuverable and easy for my girls to use. I did not like that the long hair in our house caused the roller brush to break at least five times.
The last time the Dyson broke, it was just before we moved from our Monarch house to the rental. I needed a new vacuum, but I was done with Dysons. I got an inexpensive Hoover model and it worked. However, it was heavy, so my girls could not easily vacuum with it any longer. It was used to vacuum up all the gross dog hair and whatever else at the rental.
The hose finally started to tear apart and after a couple rounds of duct tape, I found that a good reason to invest in something newer, lighter, and better. I took a chance on a Shark and have liked it so far. It is light and much like the Dyson in maneuverability. Even Kristen can easily carry it. I also like that it has a floor attachment for hardwood that cleans up the dust quite nicely. Let's hope this one lasts for awhile.
I did buy a new hose for the Hoover, and it will now live in the basement.
The Shark canister detaches from the base so that you can carry it while you vacuum the hardwood or if you are doing stairs. The hardwood floor attachment comes with a dry cleaning pad that collects dust as it vacuums. I had just bought a Swiffer Sweeper Vac for the dusty floors, but this is much more slick. I have heard three times now, "Hey Mom, can you teach me how to use the new vacuum?" as the girls have had summer chores requiring its use.

