Sunday, December 15, 2024

Kristen' Mission Email - Week 26

Hey people! It's only been a few days but somehow I have more to talk about today! Hooray for being (mostly) healthy! 

Here's what's been going on! 
  • We put our friend Mark on date after 15 years! 
  • I gave my first talk in Australia 
  • Ward Christmas party!
  • So much caroling!! 
 First off, we put Mark on date for baptism!!!!🌊🙏 He's set to be baptized March 2 and one of his requests is to be baptized in the ocean! I told him that we could definitely make that happen (because that would be the coolest thing ever). 

He's been taught by missionaries for 10-15 years, and when I looked at his information, he's been taught EVERY single principle except for the invitation to be baptized. That was a little weird because very rarely do people get that far without baptism on the horizon. 

In my mind, the only step forward was picking a date! The mission has been focused on leading with our purpose—to invite others to come unto Christ and teach them and help them to make covenants. And I've seen so many miracles in being bold and telling people why we're there. 

Not only does it save us the time of beating around the bush, but it also shows me how open and ready some of the people we teach already are. We told Mark that we are here to help him get baptized. He was a little hesitant at first (there were reasons why he hadn't been baptized after so long after all), but the Spirit worked it's magic and he agreed! 

He has a testimony of this gospel and I'm so excited to help him prepare for his first covenant with God! Prayers for Mark!! 

I was asked to speak yesterday in sacrament meeting. I was a little nervous because I was asked to talk about being a peacemaker—I don't consider myself one of those yet😬 but I let the Spirit guide and thankfully, some people told me it was what they needed to hear. That's always the goal!! 

If you'd like to read it. AND not a single tear dropped from eye. And if you know me, that's a WIN. 

We had our ward Christmas party this weekend and it was heaps of fun. They had a coloring page competition (finally a sport I'm a natural at), had the missionaries sing, face painting, and a big roasted pig. It was quite the festive occasion, and even though Christmas here is SO different than back home, I'm grateful for the time we have to focus on our Savior's birth! 

We've done so much caroling lately and we have even more to do this week. There's a member who organizes it, gives us Christmas hats, all the works. It was a bit of a struggle towards the beginning of the week because I didn't know what volume of singing I could pull off without triggering a coughing attack, but we made it through. 

I can't say I'm used to caroling in broad daylight (8:30pm🤯) and 80°. But people are always so touched when they see us. We even got to go see a member who's in a care facility, and many of the other residents heard us and were standing in the hallway listening. They requested more and it touched me how much our singing affected them. 

Everyone talks about how wonderful Christmas on the mission is, but I often forget it's even Christmastime at all! We don't have a big tree in our house, very few people decorate their homes. It's blazing outside and the normal traditions are absent for this year. But it's when I've been singing the Christmas hymns that I feel the Spirit of Christmas. 

Even when everything around me doesn't scream December, truly listening to the words of those songs reminds me why exactly we celebrate this time of year anyways. It's not the "extras" or the weather that makes it special, but spending this time to say "Alleluia! My Savior was born!" 

As we come up to Christmas day, spend some time to do something outside of the festivities—sing Christmas hymns, serve your neighbor, read the Christmas story, Light the World, watch the videos on Gospel Library, something to put Christ back into your Christmas this year. 

Luke 2:10-11 "And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." 

I'm so grateful for my Savior and this time we have to remember Him more fully! I love you all and hope you have a great week! Let me know what you're doing for the holidays! Can't wait to hear back! 

Merry Christmas! 
Sister Kristen Kline