Sunday, January 23, 2011

Another Birthday...

I'll admit, birthdays don't have quite the luster as when I was, oh say, a pre-teen. Perhaps that is why my five-year old was pretty disappointed with my birthday this year. She tearfully exclaimed when she found out that we were going to a BYU basketball game and not celebrating in the style she wanted, "That's just not what I had planned." In her mind we were going to stay home, play games, have a party, eat cake, sing "Happy Birthday", and open presents. None of that happened.



(Can you tell that I am having fun playing with the features on my camera?)

For starters, Chris arrived home from his work trip in SLC with a cold on Friday evening. He did earn bonus points for bringing two dozen red roses and...peas? Yes, sugar snap peas. He indicated that a husband might normally buy his wife chocolates but that his wife wouldn't eat them. I liked the peas. We had originally planned to go out to dinner with a few friends at the Melting Pot. Each one of them had to cancel because of sick kids or babysitter issues.

Chris wasn't feeling any better when he woke up on Saturday morning and slept most of the morning and afternoon. Kristen wanted to go to the store and get balloons and party supplies to decorate. We told Kristen we could just use the balloon from Amy's birthday six weeks ago. Kristen bought her a balloon, but while playing with it, the string detached and it soared to the corner of the living room. It was beginning to migrate from the corner of the room for my birthday.



I should be grateful that she was thinking of me. When you're the mom who usually takes care of birthday planning, it is nice to have someone follow through on your birthday. Kristen wanted to, and I convinced Chris that he should take her to the store and let her pick out a few things. She wasn't too happy about waiting till Sunday to celebrate however.



So Sunday morning, my girls sang "Happy Birthday" to me while lighting a candle and putting it in Kristen's donut, which, by the way, I don't eat, but which she bought for a special birthday breakfast. None of us in the house are big cake fans, so Amy made brownies for me instead. Like I said, birthdays just aren't what they used to be. I'm okay with it...my kids aren't.