Thursday, January 6, 2011

Kristen and Amy

Well, first let's start with Amy. "Mom, how old were you when you first got a cell phone?" I replied, "It was just a couple of years ago." Amy, "They didn't have them when you were a kid huh? Were they the hand crank kind?" Boooooo.

Kristen was lamenting last night as she was getting ready for bed, "Mom, I just want to be like you, but I don't have any one to boss around." There are definite perks to parenthood.

In Target today I was looking at some clearance Christmas stuff and Kristen wanted to move on to the toy section, "C'mon Mother," in her best condescending tone, "I'm not getting any younger."

A little later, still in Target, I was looking at organizational stuff. Kristen walked over to where I was standing and grabbed on to an upper shelf while stepping on to the bottom shelf. The front plastic piece detached from the shelf where she had grabbed, and she quickly hopped backward. While helping to snap it back on, she commented, "Whew, I didn't see that coming."

The day after Christmas, Kristen was all set to take one of her new dolls to church. I quickly nixed the idea and told her we didn't take toys to church. Her quick response, "Well, other kids get to take toys to church!" I calmly replied, "Well, we don't. Different families have different rules." Her angry retort, "I don't like our rules. We need to change them!"