A couple of months ago, Chris purchased a laptop bag from the Samsonite store. After a couple of months of use, the stitching on the leather strap began to pull away from the body of the bag. We had originally paid for the bag with a Visa gift card. Sadly, when we returned the laptop bag, they would only give us a store gift card. We figured we'd find some reason to use it in the future.
So we're in the future now and going on a cruise soon. We thought it would be a good idea to get a really big suitcase to hold our snorkel gear and for all the fun stuff I was going to buy while on vacation. We looked online and found an appropriate suitcase but when we went to purchase it, there was nowhere for us to input the gift card number. Frustrating. Well, we then decided to take a trip to Colorado Mills to visit the Samsonite store. Sadly, we weren't able to find the suitcase we wanted, nor were the deals as good as online. The store clerk had only worked there for a short time and was not very helpful. She gave us a customer service number to call. We walked out of the store without a suitcase.
Monday morning I tried online one more time hoping for an updated site, but nothing had changed. I noted another number where it said you could purchase items online. "Ah ha!" I thought, "I'll call that number." Although Becky was completely polite, I was met with another roadblock and couldn't use the gift card over the phone either.
I hung up with her and went back to the website to find an email to send an unhappy gram. I ended my email with:
What kind of customer service are you hoping for? You certainly didn't win me over with your stellar ability to meet a customer's needs.
A couple of hours later, I got a response. Amy wanted to know which suitcase I was hoping for, asked for my mailing address, and requested the # on the gift card. I was expecting an email back asking for my credit card number to make up the difference that the gift card lacked. Instead I received this email this morning.
Hi Jolayne,
I just wanted to send you an email to let you know that we sent out the
30" Solar Rose last night via FedEx. We want you to keep your gift card
for a rainy day, when you might need something else! The xSpace 30" is on
us.
Please let me know if you need any further assistance.
I was totally impressed. I said "Wow" out loud. Now that is the customer service response I am sure they were hoping for.