Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Painting and Big Sighs of Relief

For most of my girls' vacation, I enjoyed having them around. These last few days however, they were getting on each others' nerves, and thus, my nerves. It was a happy day for all of us to have school start today. I felt as though I was in overdrive the entire vacation--no down time. Some of it was self-imposed, but really, a Mom can't go on vacation when kids are around very easily. They still eat, they still get their clothes dirty, they still fight. I felt as though I was cleaning, cooking, getting ready for Christmas, orchestrating, and more non-stop. A couple of days ago, I even took on a big painting project!

Misha's room, which used to be Kristen's room, was green and pink. Not remotely Misha's style. It has been hanging over me to paint her room for over a year now. I know the work involved in painting; I didn't want to do it. Plus, Chris was adamant that he wasn't going to help. So, I got everything set up and had to referee three girls who desperately wanted to help. Amy and Misha's help I could handle, Kristen's I could not. I let her try and she dripped paint all over the drop cloth in her first attempt. You might argue that that is what a drop cloth is for, but now we had to be careful not to step in the paint and track it out of the bedroom. Chris took pity on me and corralled Kristen in to helping him with touch-ups.

By the end of the day, I was exhausted. Chris helped, though he wasn't happy about it. I was grateful. My next big job in the front hall, I will definitely be hiring out! I am just glad to have that room finished. It is neutral and should never need to be painted again.

Before:


After: