I signed my girls up for a climbing class at the Longmont Recreation Center. Amy and Misha were excited for it, Kristen wasn't saying much. I should have taken that as a sign that perhaps she was afraid of the wall.
We arrived at the Rec Center Saturday at the appointed time and waited. And waited. I asked the front desk people if the instructor was here and they stated that he usually arrived right at 10 am. Doesn't leave much set up time. 10 am came and went. Finally some guy showed up. We were standing next to the wall, and he pretty much ignored us as we watched him get set up. I'm thinking, "Do I really want to leave my daughters in his care for an hour and a half?" I wasn't too impressed. Finally as he finished setting up, he looked at us and said, "So do you want to climb today?" I replied, "Yes, my girls are here for a class." He responded, "Oh, I didn't know there was a class. My sister usually teaches those and she is home sick and I was taking care of her this morning and I'll just run to the front desk and find out." He didn't really run.
He returned to the wall, apologetic, and had me fill out waiver forms. The girls were set to go, though Kristen was still quiet. I left to run errands and returned in time to catch the last bit of class and to watch them climb. When I walked up, Amy and Kristen were sitting together and Misha was getting set to climb. Amy and Kristen walked over to me, and Amy quietly informed me that Kristen was near tears. I gave her a hug, yet encouraged her to take her final turn. She didn't want to, but she did it. As we were walking out of the building, Kristen informed me that she never wanted to take a climbing class again!