Earlier this year, when Chris and I explored options for our summer vacation, we began planning a trip to visit Chris' Dad in Phoenix, AZ. We knew we also wanted to include a return visit to Sedona and perhaps a day at Grand Canyon. We picked out dates and hotel stays, but stopped short of booking flights, rental cars, and hotels. After a little urging from me that we needed to make our arrangements, Chris finally said, "I don't feel right about going." Hmmmmm. I didn't question his impression and instead we began looking for another location. Once again, after picking Seattle and checking into some fun activities, we stopped short of actually booking our trip. On a sunny Saturday afternoon in March, when Chris called to wish his grandfather a happy birthday, he ended his call, and we both looked at each other and knew that we needed to plan a visit to see Grandpa Len.
Chris had met his grandfather a couple of times previously, but the girls and I had never met him. We both felt impressed that our summer vacation should include a trip to San Diego and Grandpa Len's home in Solana Beach. The interesting thing? We went back to our original plans to visit Arizona and simply added another leg and a few more days.
The days leading up to our trip, as usual, were filled with busyness and excitement. Kristen kept up a daily countdown once school let out. We were scheduled to leave on a Thursday evening, and by the Monday morning prior, I finally let the girls begin packing their suitcases. We've forgotten things enough times that I let them pick out what they want to take, and then I go back and streamline their efforts.
Knowing that most things were packed and ready to go, I took the opportunity to go shopping for a couple hours by myself on Thursday. I needed a bit of a break. Upon returning home, I almost started crying as I drove up to the house to see both Misha and Amy outside mowing the lawn so that Chris wouldn't have to when he got home.
Chris was out of town Monday through Wednesday and in Denver most of the day on Thursday, but when he finally walked in the door around 2 pm on Thursday afternoon, we were mostly ready to go. He helped the girls empty the lawn mower clippings, helped Misha drop her fish off at a friend's for fish-watching, finished packing, loaded the van, and we were on our way shortly after 3 pm.
Normally we park in the Pikes Peak parking lot. Much to our disappointment, it was closed, and we had to drive all the way out to the Mt. Elbert lot. It was about 10-15 minutes further. The real drag was knowing that we'd have to come all the way out to that lot to pick up the car on a return flight at midnight. Not a fun prospect. We gathered all of our luggage and hopped on the bus to the terminal. It's rather convenient to fly with Chris because he flies so much and gets to take the "special" jump-ahead-of-everyone lines. Our flight was fairly uneventful, though we determined that it would be easier to have Kristen sit next to Chris and I on subsequent flights.
We arrived at Sky Harbor airport two hours later (but only one with the time change). Chris took the shuttle to the car rental place fifteen minutes away while the girls and I collected all of the luggage. We waited outside the terminal in the 90* heat...and waited...and waited. He finally called to say he was coming and that he had scored a nicer vehicle for us than a Crown Vic (no offense)--a Chevy Traverse--which even had a DVD player. We happily climbed in to the air conditioned comfort and were off to visit with friends.
Every time we visit Phoenix, we love to spend time with and catch up with our friends the Wilcox's. Since our last visit in 2008, they had added two little boys to their family of three girls. So fun how we just seem to pick up where we left off. They had also moved to a new home and now had a swimming pool in their backyard. Amy wore her swimming suit under her clothes on the plane in anticipation of jumping right in. We slowed her down enough to have dinner and then all of the girls were in the pool. We wish that we could have spent more time with them during our stay (I'm sure they know they are always welcome to come visit us in Colorado!)
We left for Grandpa's around 10 pm local (11 pm our time); the girls weren't a bit tired. In fact, they would have liked to swim in Grandpa's pool as well. Grandma Chris had beds ready to go for the girls when we arrived, and wouldn't you know, they were asleep within minutes of hitting their pillows.
Amazing but true, I didn't take any pictures at all on day one. I made up for it with over 1000 pics over the next ten days.