Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Most Excellent Adventure - Nine

This was slated to be a pretty fun day--kayaking, whale watching--fun I tell ya. It didn't really start out that way though with three, count 'em, THREE loads of laundry. We were running out of clothes. Kayaking was scheduled for 12:30, so we had the morning to explore. We started with Coronado Island. Misha was really interested in purchasing a hoodie and finally found one in a small shop. She was thrilled with it. Spending your own hard-earned cash makes things like that a little more valued. Kristen found a cute glow-in-the dark Coronado Island shirt here as well that Chris purchased for her. We walked around a small sandy beach for a bit and then decided to head toward La Jolla in order to avoid any traffic delays.



We found some pretty cool tide pools and walked along the beach for a short distance.





And we were able to eat lunch at a Jeff's Burgers that was: 1) not McDonalds, and 2) right next door to the Bike and Kayak shop where we were to rent kayaks. We found the kayaking place online through Groupon.

We finished lunch and got in line next door for kayaking. I ran back to the Jeep to get our water pack, sunscreen, and my hat. We chose partial wet suits for the girls and I to help avoid the chill of the ocean.



The best Kristen smile EVER!





Chris opted to just wear swim trunks. For some reason, there was a miscommunication and we were given helmets as well. Stylin'. Hmmmmmm. Falling in the ocean could be a dangerous sport. When they finally realized that we didn't need the helmets, they retrieved them and sent us on our way down to the beach at La Jolla cove.





We were scheduled to have two double kayaks and a single. Amy was to be on her own. I personally was concerned. When Chris and I kayaked together a couple of years ago, I needed his strength to paddle through the surf. I wasn't sure how Amy was going to make it. The employees at the beach seemed to agree with us because when I suggested that we have a two-seater and a three-seater kayak, they readily gave us one. So now Amy and I and were in a kayak together and Chris had the younger two. It worked so much better.





We had two hours on the ocean (in the future, I think one hour would be adequate). It took a little while for Amy and I to get the hang of paddling together, but finally we were successful. We saw a seal that kept popping above the water and a number of people swimming quite far out. Crazy!

We went in a little early because Misha wanted to ride the surf a couple more times. I don't believe she counted on being dumped in the ocean on their ride in. Amy and I sat and watched them. Kristen was not happy at all! AT ALL! Amy and I took a deep breath vowing to stay upright. We were heading in straight as can be when all of a sudden a wave just dumped us over. Shoot! All I remember is suddenly going under and then getting thumped in the head by the kayak. My first thought was, "I hope we are in far enough that we can both stand." One of the workers came out to help retrieve the kayak and we sloshed in to the beach. I found Kristen shivering on the beach crying because she didn't like all the little flies buzzing about her.

Because Misha had wanted to go out again, Chris had dropped Kristen off on the beach and went back out again. It was a decision he would come to rue. In fact, I happened to snap a photo the exact moment he and Misha resurfaced a second time with Chris frantically reaching for his hat, the locker key at the kayak shop, AND his prescription sunglasses. He managed only to salvage the hat.



He motioned to me that he had lost his glasses. I tucked Kristen in by the kayaks where it was a little warmer in the sunshine and there were no flies and headed back out to help Chris. We looked for twenty minutes without any success. The loss of the key cost us another $15 bucks; the glasses were gone.

We dejectedly walked back to the shop to change. We couldn't be too slow though because we had a reservation for whale watching at Dana Point about 45 minutes away. Life goes on. That is until you get on the California 5 on a Friday afternoon. We were stuck in traffic. The second blow for the day was missing our whale watching excursion (kudos to Groupon who quickly and happily refunded our money).

We made a bathroom stop at Dana Point and then drove back to San Clemente for dinner. Chris had been there previously for work and thought it was lovely. We walked down to the pier and found a fantastic restaurant for dinner--Fisherman's Restaurant and Bar. We arrived in time for the early dinner special which saved a few $$$$. My choice was not included in the dinner special, but Chris urged me to splurge and order it anyway. I also ordered clam chowder with my meal and Chris got salad which we planned to share. I ate my portion of chowder, switched with Chris and was just about finished my salad when I noticed a fly on my plate. UGGGHGHGHG. I immediately stopped eating and when the waiter came to remove my plate, I pointed it out to him.

He apologized, and soon I had a manager at my table apologizing. I was just grateful it wasn't half a fly. But, they offered to comp my meal (two nights in a row). Funny, because it was originally Chris' salad and my meal was as much as Chris' and the girls' combined. I jokingly remarked to Chris that the-old-fly-in-my-salad trick had worked once again. No less than four employees apologized to me. Very impressive.

We walked down the pier and enjoyed the beautiful evening watching fishermen, swimmers and surfers alike. We may have been disappointed to miss out on the whales, but we had a delightful evening nevertheless.



Misha and Amy were anxious to get down to the beach. Misha's famous last words, "I won't get wet."







We had our trip back to the hotel yet and finally left the beach after the sun had set and most of the sand was washed from our feet. Another most excellent adventure.