Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Europe Day Nine - Toledo, Spain

Snowing in Colorado.  Boo for them.  I woke up at 6:30 am which didn’t make me too happy.  I was kind of enjoying some sleeping in.  I read while Chris slept until 8 am.   Because it was later than we had planned, we opted for a later bus to Toledo (pronounced Toe-lay-dough not like Toledo, Ohio.)

I learned to ask for “cold” soy milk and eggs without any "yellow" to get scrambled egg whites.


We walked about ten minutes to get to the Atocha train station.  Chris had purchased tickets earlier online, but that didn’t make finding our train platform that simple.  The station serviced the trains as well as the metro.  We finally found our seats on the high speed train to Toledo--100 miles in 30 minutes—not too shabby.  

We walked in to Toledo, amazed with this city perched on the side of the hill.



We were grateful for the escalators that allowed us to easily ascend the side of the mountain.  This city would have been easy to get lost in.




We walked up and down the streets, gradually finding our way to the Cathedral.  Chris picked up a map of the city and then we purchased tickets for the Cathedral tour.  




Brilliant ceilings and floor tiles in the cathedrals.





After lunch at Cafe and Tapas, we spent the afternoon wandering around the city.  We chatted with the girls on the steps of a smaller church.  It was nice to rest our feet.


I spied this older couple also taking a rest and mentioned to Chris that I hoped we would still be traveling together at their age.


I loved all of the alleyways and beautiful entrances, the winding paths and shuttered windows.  It made my photographer heart happy.






We returned to Madrid a little earlier than originally planned since we had seen all we had hoped to see in Toledo and hopped on to the metro after getting off the train.


We chose Greek and Shop again for dinner, returning to the same little hole in the wall take away place.  It was good.  Chris said, "If we come here tomorrow night, we are losers."  To be fair though, it was quick takeaway food where we didn't feel we had to order first and second courses.