Thursday, November 30, 2017

Thankful - Day 30

I am thankful for good people who act as the Savior would act and love as the Savior would love.  A couple weeks ago, I helped at a funeral for a man who died of a stroke.  Scott was young, vibrant, and well-loved by his family, the community, and his co-workers.  As family and friends mingled after the service, I watched a young man walk to the front of the chapel where a large canvas of Scott rested on an easel.  I took note as this young man paced in front of this picture, stared at it, and seemed to ache for the loss.  You could just tell that there was an emptiness in his heart and unbelief that Scott was gone.

As I walked in and out of the kitchen, serving food and cleaning, I kept my eyes on this young man.  He finally sat on the front pew of the chapel with his head in his hands.  And then the miracle.  As I returned to the gym after clearing trays from the serving table, the scene at the front of the chapel had changed.  Our bishop sat next to this young man.  They sat and talked.  I am thankful for good people who act as the Savior would act and love as the Savior would love.