Saturday, November 4, 2017

Europe Day Six - Siena, Italy

I was looking forward to the weekend in Italy because I would not be exploring on my own.  We tried to rush ourselves out of the hotel for an 8:10 am bus to Siena, but we would have either had to snarf down a quick breakfast or skip it all together.  We opted to slow things down and take the 9:10 am bus instead.  I asked for oatmeal, and after a long wait, was rewarded with the Papa bear sized bowl.  I ate only a small portion of the oatmeal.  Even the waiter walked by and said, “Oh, that’sa...biga,” in his Italian accent.  Chris enjoyed his waffle.


We downloaded Rick Steve’s walking tour from the Rick Steve’s Audio Europe’s app (a free app I might add), filled the backpack for the day, and walked to the bus station. Thank heavens for Google Maps and Christopher Kline who is always so much better at navigating than I am.

There were two buses to Siena and two lines for the buses.  There were a lot of Chinese tourists in one line and then Chris and I and another man in the other line.  When the first bus to Siena pulled in to the station, it pulled in to the slot next to us, and the entire line of tourists did their best to push their way in front of us. 

I held my ground and maintained our spot in line as best as I could.  The other gentleman originally waiting with us was totally pushed out of line.  Our drive from Firenze to Siena was about one hour and 15 minutes along a beautiful route skirted with wineries along the mountain sides.  Bellisimo.  

After exiting the bus, we climbed up to the Central Square.  The unusual aspect of Siena’s Central Square was that it did not house the Duomo (cathedral), instead it was home to the City Hall, and every year hosted the famous Palio horse race.




Rings throughout the city that were once used for hitching your horse while conducting your business inside a building.



My handsome photo bomber. 


We started the walking tour for Siena, and then also purchased the OPA SI Pass that allowed us access to the Siena Duomo, St. John's baptistery, Crypt, Museo dell'Opera, panoramic terrace of the Duomo Nuovo ("new" unfinished portion of the cathedral), San Bernadino Oratory, and Santa Maria della Scala hospital.

We listened to the Duomo portion of the walking tour learning about the beautiful floor tiles, murals, the choir, the library and more.  It was impressive to get a greater understanding of the different parts of the cathedral.

Floor tiles




My first viewing of a statue by Michelango





The most amazing part of the day was being able to climb up on the unfinished portion of the church, climbing up narrowing circular stairs until the breathtaking view of Siena in 360 degrees unfolded around us.  A. Ma. Zing.  The queue to visit the panoramic terrace was long, but the view at the top was totally worth the wait.







A rich man's courtyard.



We stopped for lunch at a small cafe at the base of Saint Catherine's steps leading up to the Duomo.



The last site to visit on our OPA SI Pass was the old hospital.  Its lower levels were a maze of walkways and alcoved rooms.  Honestly, I would not have wanted to be sick at this time in history.  But it was a progressive hospital and caused advancements in health care and emergency rooms.  It also served as an orphanage, taking in children whose parents couldn't care for them.

We had a great day in Siena wandering the streets, and taking in the exterior of the Dominican Church as our last stop of the day.  The view back on the city and the Duomo was impressive.






As we walked back to the bus station and purchased our rapido tickets to Florence, we thought to stop at the rest rooms before the long bus ride.  Chris put a coin into the slot of the turnstile and...nothing.  An interesting character behind us decided that he really needed to use the bathroom and climbed up and over the turnstile. And then, he went to the handicap door to let those of us waiting, in.  Chris and I decided to just walk away.  Our friend gestured to us, “Come in.”  We did.


We kept saying we would get gelato and finally did.  I tried the chocolate and it tasted just like chocolate frosting.  No question that was what I was getting.  Chris ordered a strawberry cone.  Delicious.


We didn’t plan ahead too well for a evening dining reservation in Florence, and a few of the places David, the Concierge, tried were full. We finally got reservations at Buco Mario.  It was a little fancier than we had wanted, but it was what we got.  And so much food.  Too much food.

Gnocchi with Bolognese sauce.