Kristen has participated in the A Cappella Camp for three years now and has always loved the opportunity for intensive singing all week long. This week, one of the coordinators of the camp asked if we would be willing to host a young girl who lived a couple of hours away. I said, "Sure."
Cayla arrived Monday morning around 8:45 with her mom, Hope, and her little brother. Hope was anxious to get going back to Woodland Park and left shortly after arriving. I left with the girls a short time later to drop them off at camp.
Camp was held each day from 10 am to 3 pm in Longmont. The girls were thoroughly exhausted at the end of each day.
While I could tell that Cayla was totally out of her element, I don't think she told me thank you at all during the week. I fed her, made her lunches, fixed her lunch each day, and shuttled her back and forth to camp. That was a little disappointing for me.
Kristen was grateful though and enjoyed the camp. (Kristen is on the back row in the picture below with the sun shining on her face).
On Friday evening, the students enrolled in the camp put on a performance for parents and family. We were glad that we were able to find a little bit of shade as the kids performed, another group performed, and then they were all to perform together. I wasn't too keen on the other group. It seemed like a bunch of adults who formed a "group" and needed a chance to perform.
Amy and Misha grabbed some dinner at Garbonzo's and then came to support Kristen. They might have been more embarrassing than Kristen wanted. In fact, they equated themselves to Statler and Waldorf, the two old, cantankerous Muppet guys who would heckle performers from their seats in the balcony. Kristen suggested they could leave, and Amy and Misha didn't have to be asked twice.
The ants appreciated that Amy and Misha came.
As the music just went on and on and on, we finally got up to leave and were walking away when it was announced that it was time for the final number with the A Cappella Camp and the group. Kristen hurried back to join in.