Kristen has been visiting her grandma Ball for a week and a half now. They have been having lots of fun together--swimming, boating, kayaking, going to the zoo, playing at Bullwinkles for five hours! For the first couple of days during her visit, it was non-stop cousins and fun and go, go, go. And the kids had a great time together. I called a couple of times to say hello and Kristen was always out busy running around and having fun. Kristen even prepared a scavenger hunt and set up teams before leaving for her visit. (She has a little bit of her dad and grandma in her.)
Cousin Twins
So when everyone left and it was just Kristen and Grandma and Grandpa, she remembered that she was far away from home and well, yeah, she missed her family. It was a good quiet, but then again it was quiet.
I think it was early Monday morning that I heard Christopher's phone ringing. I had been sleeping and groggily peeked out of one eye to see the clock gleaming 12:43. And for some reason Chris' phone was ringing. I might normally have ignored it and gone back to sleep, but someone whispered, "Get up."
I hurried downstairs, but by the time I reached the phone, it stopped. It was Kristen. She was trying to Facetime her dad. I started to text her, "Kristen it is late here..." when my phone started to ring. I hurried to the office and slid the bar to answer Kristen's Facetime call. And she was crying. Oh my poor, sweet girl. "What's wrong?" She was homesick. I was just so grateful that I had listened to the whisperings of a voice that knew she just needed to hear from her mom.
She and Grandma had planned to sleep in the tent on the deck. Kristen had been out on the deck waiting for Grandma to come out and she just got scared and lonely. She had been trying to Facetime with Chris, with me, with Amy, and with Misha, just please anyone that would answer.
We talked for about twenty minutes. She went to find Grandma and let her know that she was having a hard time. Grandma came in, tucked Kristen in to the bed in the house, and promised to come back and check on Kristen after a couple of minutes when Kristen had hopefully fallen asleep.
I sang to Kristen, listened to see if her breathing lengthened, I hummed, and finally Grandma whispered to me that she was asleep. I hung up from Facetime. And from there the next couple of nights were full of a few more tears at nighttime. Kristen would have a blast during the day, but when she had a chance to think about things, she realized that she was missing her family, her mom.
I started reading a book to Kristen, "Daniel and Nephi," and that seemed to help her settle down for bed.
During the day, she and Grandma had been busy. They went to the Aquarium with a new friend on Monday, swimming at the double decker dock, to Bullwinkle's with Aunt Lori and cousins for five hours where Kristen made bank (and I figure I should never have to take Kristen to Chuck E. Cheese's. Ever.), hiking, boating, baking, fireworks. So much fun stuff.
Except for the 4th of July, I have continued to read to Kristen every night. Since she is an hour behind, sometimes I am up until 11:30 before she is home and settled into bed. I am tired, but she is worth it.
I sent Kristen some packages via Amazon Prime. Knowing something was coming for her made her a little more excited about what might be delivered, and they were fun crafts that would keep her busy when Grandma had cleaning and other stuff to do.
Kristen flies home on Wednesday. Only three more sleeps and just in time for Misha's birthday! I am excited to see her lovely little face.










