I did not know what I was getting myself into. A couple of weeks ago, Kristen brought home a permission slip to be signed so that she could go on a field trip to Vance Brand Auditorium to hear the Longmont Symphony play. I was happy to sign it, but did not see the usual request for parent volunteers form. I added a stickie note suggesting that I would be happy to go as a volunteer if needed. I received an email from Kristen's teacher, Mrs. Spong, saying that they didn't need volunteers for this trip, but if I wanted to attend, I could.
The teachers had talked with students about appropriate dress for the occasion so Kristen was gung-ho about wearing her new dress and glamming it up. She even had me put her hair in rollers the night before.
I told Mrs. Spong that I would be happy to come along, but that I would just meet their class at the auditorium. I had no idea of the craziness. I arrived early and noticed that some buses were already in the parking lot. I later learned that all of the 5th grade students in the district were attending, but at three different times throughout the day.
I watched as the second wave of students (which Kristen was in) arrived and then as the first group poured out of the school doors as their session ended. Chaos. Those teachers had better have memorized their bus numbers because there were probably 15 buses in the parking lot, with fifth grade classes lined up all over the place, and more buses arriving.
It took awhile before we were all seated in the auditorium and the students were shushed. The symphony/orchestra were dressed as pirates and proceeded to perform four or five pirate-worthy selections including "The Sea Hawk" and "Pirates of the Caribbean".


