I am grateful to be a mom. Today, Amy asked me to answer questions related to the "job description" of being a stay-at-home mom for her Career Exploration class:
1. When and how did you get involved at your work?
I was 31 yrs old and pregnant. When my oldest daughter was born, I chose to leave my career and become a stay-at-home mom
2.What was your training and background previous to the job?
There is not a lot of training to be a mom. I had 3 younger brothers, I babysat a lot as a teenager, and I was like a second mom to my sister’s children.
3. What was a typical day like for you, or someone in a similar position?
Each day varied especially as my girls grew older and became more independent. If my children were sleeping through the night, I got to sleep through the night. If they were sick, I was up with them. As they woke up in the morning, breakfast was usually first on the list. Scripture study, prayers, cleaning up from breakfast, getting kids dressed, brushing teeth, doing hair, getting kids off to school, doing my own chores-laundry, vacuuming, making beds, etc were on the agenda for the day. As my girls got older, we had “mommy school” together to help them learn numbers, colors, and letters.
Lunch time meant coming up with something my girls would eat, cleaning up, feeding little babies, and NAP TIME and quiet time in the afternoon while babies slept. My girls loved to do crafts, watch tv, play with friends, participate in play group, and play outside.
Dinner time required more creativity in deciding what to cook, followed by cleaning up and getting help with that. Maybe there was homework as girls got older with other activities such as, piano lessons, gymnastics, and swim lessons
Bed time was dubbed the best time of the day. We had FHE, family time, and homework. Girls brushed teeth, had baths, said nighttime prayers, and Dad and I happily tucked you into bed.
4.What do you like most about your job?
My daughters. They turned out to be pretty awesome girls.
5.What do you like least? (if anything)
Dusting
6.What attitudes or values are important in your career?
Cheerfulness, Family values, Sacrifice, Persistence, Motivation
7.What would you recommend for someone trying to figure out what career choice is best for them? This “career” is either chosen for you or you choose it. It is forever. Just remember that.
8.Knowing what you know now, would you approach this career the same way?
Looking back, one could always find ways to be a better mom. Be flexible, creative, kind, loving. Always keep a journal.
9.What talents or skills do you think are most crucial to having a good career?
Motivation, kindness, selflessness, cooking, baking, cleaning, organizing, sewing, crafting skills, punctuality...
10.What are some challenges you face within the workplace?
Sass, arguments, disappointment, discouragement, all-nighters, things not going as planned, no sick days and burned food
11.Does having this career make it challenging to maintain good family relations?
Being a mom is really an important key to maintaining good family relations.
Any other advice? Enjoy the ride. Being a mom is awesome. I am grateful to be a mom.