Monday, November 4, 2019

Thankful Day 4 - Believing

I was listening to the audiobook, "The Heavens Are Open" by Wendy Watson Nelson. She begins the introduction with, "I am a believer. I do not remember ever not believing in God our Heavenly Father and in His son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. I believe in the ministering of angels, dreams that bring messengers and messages, words from hymns that float into our minds unexpectedly and yet exactly when we need them. And scriptures that open to answer the questions we most need to have answered on any given day. I believe in miracles. Actually, I count on them, and at this point in my life I believe that the Lord brings us the precise miracles that will help us grow into our true selves and miracles that will help us do His work. I believe that in the temples of God we can receive His power through ordinances that enlighten our minds, invigorate our spirits, heal our hearts and bodies, and provide the eternal perspective that helps things make sense. I believe in the power of priesthood blessings to heal."

When I was just a young girl, I remember a Family Home Evening lesson taught by my father about having a testimony and learning to ask Heavenly Father if He is real. My dad challenged my older sister and brother and me to ask in prayer, and promised that if we did, God would answer. I could not have been more than four or five, but that night after Family Home Evening, I knelt in prayer and asked. I felt the warmth of the Holy Ghost witnessing to me, and I knew. I excitedly ran upstairs to tell my dad saying, "He answered me!"

Since that moment, I have been a believer. I believe as Sister Nelson does. While I don't remember much of my days of faith prior to the first time I asked if God was real, I do know that my believing in Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost has guided my life since that time. I am thankful to have a believing heart and mind.