Sunday, November 3, 2019

Thankful Day 3 - LKAS

I am thankful for the LKAS—Lane Keep Assist System—and Braking System on my 2019 Honda Pilot. The LKAS keeps my car from drifting out of my lane while I am driving. If I veer over the line on to the shoulder or over the center line, not only does my steering wheel shake to remind me that I am out of the lane but there is also a graphic on my dashboard that reminds me to stay within the lines. My car is actually designed to align itself between the center and shoulder lines. And if I veer too far onto the shoulder (sometimes I do this to avoid a pothole or bumpy railroad tracks), the brakes are suddenly applied to slow me down. If I forget or am not paying attention, these measures can be unnerving, but they are meant to keep me safe.

At times, with the curve of the road, it appears as though oncoming traffic is coming directly toward me. Or, if I get too close to the car in front of me, the word "BRAKE" blinks on my dashboard screen—all to keep me safe while driving. I know that if my car detects a crash, the brakes WILL actually be applied as this same system was functioning in my 2018 Honda Pilot when I was rear-ended on the freeway last February. Even though I was hit at a high speed, I did not hit the car in front of me.

Perhaps you can already begin to draw analogies for yourself between the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the LKAS and Braking System. We are often given reminders: scriptures that pop out at us as an answer to prayer; a friend who calls when we most need it; a still, small voice that whispers in our minds; or a larger, not-so-still voice that warns. I have had moments in my life when a thought, caution, or warning pops in to my head, as though the word "BRAKE" is blinking at me.