Sunday, March 16, 2025

When You Hear Something That is Off, Check!

As Chris and I were leaving the hotel in Monument on Sunday morning, Chris closed up the back of the Pilot and then proceeded to back up. We both heard something funny, but never got out to look.

As he backed up, he stopped and said, "What am I backing over?" He got out and picked up his water bottle. It had received a few scuffs but the damage wasn't bad. He got back in the Pilot and continued to back up. "What am I still backing over?" 

We both got out this time and were devastated to see his new backpack filled with the laptop, his iPad and lots of other gadgets stuck in the wheel well. Ughghghgh! Our stomachs dropped.

Chris went to retrieve the jack because that backpack was wedged in tight and we didn't want to do any more damage than necessary to unstick it.

The jack was crazy and totally designed with uh... no one in mind. Chris finally figured out how to make it work and all of a sudden the car rolled forward and off the jack. Ughghghgh!

I went to set the emergency break and Chris had to start jacking the car all over again. After about five minutes of twisting and cranking, I was finally able to pull the backpack down and out of the wheel well. I immediately unzipped the backpack and pulled out the laptop. Whew the screen wasn't broken, but... neither would it power on.

Chris' iPad seemed to be fine, I think the laptop shielded it from any damage. His "new" backpack had a rip in the interior lining and it was quite dirty. Ughghghgh!

Moral of the story? When you hear something that is off, check.