Sunday, April 27, 2014

Kristen - Children's Hospital Visit

Kristen had been sick for over ten days.  She woke me up for a second night, moaning and groaning.  When I went in to check on her, she was curled up in a ball in pain.  Not only that, she had been coughing for days.  I had taken her to the doctor to get her checked out, but they just said, "It's been going around."  Not much comfort there.

I gave Kristen some Pepto Bismol and no less than two minutes later, it came right back up.  Good thing I had thought to grab a bowl.

After sitting up with her for about an hour, still with so much pain racking her little body, Chris finally said, "Let's take her to Children's."  It was midnight and her first ER visit.  We packed up a few things for Kristen, her pillow, and her blanket.  She was quiet all the way to the hospital.  We probably should have just used that as a sign to turn around, but we needed some answers.  She wasn't eating at all and was losing weight with each passing day.

We got her checked in at the front desk and then proceeded to wait to meet with the nurse, then wait for an available room, then wait for the doctor.  It was a lot of waiting.  We spent about four hours at the hospital and ended up leaving at 4 am with instructions to keep track of Kristen's food intake for the next three days.

Amazing when you spend $$$, and they start getting better on their own the next day.  Her appetite and energy slowing returned and her coughing finally subsided.

Chris and I were zombies during church the next day.  Amy stayed home with Kristen.