Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Kristen

Kristen has been pretty sick over the last couple of months.  Her latest round started last Monday the 7th.  The school nurse called to say that Kristen wasn't feeling well and suggested that I should come and check on her.

When I arrived, Kristen was laying on the lounge in the nurse's office and complained of being cold.  I wrapped her up in her jacket and sat down to figure out what was going on.  She complained of being cold, having a headache, and dizziness.  I felt her forehead and she was burning up.

I packed her up and brought her home.  As I tucked her in to her bed, she immediately rolled over and went to sleep.  And thus began the routine of the next few days of body chills, sweats, and headaches.  She laid in bed with a cold cloth on her head most of the time as she was feverish even when she felt chilled.

I guess it was the flu minus the stomach troubles.  She headed back to school on Wednesday through Friday, but you could just tell she wasn't feeling too great.  Chris and I dropped by on Friday afternoon to watch her field day events and could just tell by looking at her eyes that she wasn't doing well.  She was feverish again.  I checked her out of school and again she fell asleep as soon as we got her home.  Poor girl.  She did make her last frisbee shot though.




I sent her to school on Monday after a weekend of laying on the couch trying to take it easy.  When she told me that one of the 'paras' had taken her to the nurse's office again to check for a fever because she was hacking up a lung, I decided to keep her home a few more days.

I finally took her to the doctor on Tuesday the 15th.  Apparently, she had a viral infection last week and extra little bugs seem to have jumped on board.  We now have her on some cough syrup with the codeine to calm the coughing.  I don't think she had a full night's sleep in over a week and a half.

Last night she came to get me because she couldn't stop coughing.  I gave her some more cough syrup and laid down beside her for awhile.  I am grateful that no one else has caught her lovely bugs.