Friday, March 24, 2017

Spring Break Day 2

About 1:30 am local time on Friday morning.  Chris had texted me information on calling for a shuttle once we arrive at Baggage Claim in Houston for the Marriott Springhill Suites.  I called and after retrieving our luggage, we dutifully waited next to area 12 outside the terminal.

The shuttle finally arrived and loaded us girls along with about six to eight others.  As we arrived at the hotel and took the elevator to room 514, Amy joked, "If this isn't Dad's room, this is going to be really awkward!"  Chris had been texting me earlier, so I knew that he was awake and waiting for us, though he had slept from about 10 pm to 1 am.

I believe it was Kristen who woke us up around 7:30 am.  I could have slept longer, but we needed to get up for breakfast before the service was finished in the hotel.  Linda and Candace drove downtown to pick us up and to spend the day with us in downtown Houston.

Crazy Amy




Chris had purchased a scavenger hunt that started at the Sam Houston statue by Hermann Park.




Misha was Amy's official photographer for Snapchat.


The scavenger hunt sent Chris the clues for the areas we were to travel, Grandma received texts on various staged pictures we should take, and Candace and Amy both had random texts that we had to answer questions for every so often as well.  Our trek took us to a fountain, an obelisk, Japanese Gardens, and through the Museum District (there was a Holocaust Museum that I would have liked to visit but we opted not to go).





Here's Chris and I recreating a famous statue for a scavenger hunt photo.


We decided to stop for lunch at Bodegas Taco Shop before continuing on to alleviate a case of the "hangries".


We stopped in the McGovern Centennial Gardens during our scavenger hunt and asked a worker named John for help in taking pictures for us for the scavenger hunt.  He was happy to oblige and gave great advice on the area.  We were all so impressed with his kindness and friendly, outgoing attitude.  We had to take a picture here of us in a staged leap frog game. I'm pretty sure we were all thinking, "Ummm, let's hurry this up John."



John took his role as our photographer very seriously.


We finished up the scavenger hunt and then drove back to Spring, Texas and Bender's Landing where Kevin and Candace lived.  Jonathan and Joseph had arrived home from school and were hanging out Grandpa.

We enjoyed the beautiful cloudy and cooler weather for the rest of the evening as Kevin happily built a fire in his new fire pit.   My family enjoyed Ball's fancy schmancy tree swing.


We tried our hand at archery.  Apparently, Misha is pretty good.




Kevin and Jonathan barbecued hamburgers while I put together a Dutch oven peach cobbler.  Amy worked on making some caramelized onions that were delicious.  When it started to rain, we hung out on the covered back patio and played Apples to Apples.




I was upstairs getting settled when I heard Kevin playing the piano and Kristen and Ashley singing.  Chris was hanging out in the piano room as well when I joined them.  I sung a few songs with the girls and Kevin. They just had fun singing together.  Ashley and Kristen are two peas in a pod.  After our late evening the night before, we were all pretty tired and headed off to bed.