Monday, March 27, 2017

Spring Break Day 5

I woke up around 6:30 on Monday morning and headed downstairs to exercise, only to find out that the exercise room was actually on the third floor, down the hall from our room 318.  It felt good to get some exercising in.

We were at the Embassy in Corpus Christie and breakfast was offered until 9 am.  I returned to our room after exercising, showered and tried to get Amy up and moving.  She rolled out of bed around 8:30 am to join us.  Breakfast was okay, not stellar as some Embassy's, but we weren't complaining over "included".

The plan for the day included a trip to the USS Lexington for Amy and Chris.  I had been to other air craft carriers and didn't feel the need to see another.  Chris dropped Misha, Kristen, and I off at the Los Palmeras Mall down the street from the hotel and then headed back to the far side of Corpus Christie.  Apparently the bridge was being worked on that morning so traffic was a bear.

Flying this plane would be Amy's dream come true.



After finishing at the mall, the girls and I walked to the turn around on the road and crossed there.  Our first stop on the other side of the street was Taco Cabana for lunch.  As with many things in life, it was not nearly as good as we remembered it being.  Misha's flautas were swimming in oil.  

Chris and Amy, stopping for lunch at Chick-fil-A first, were going to meet us at Target to get a few more snacks and things.  We had enough extra time in Target that we were on our third trip around the store before Chris and Amy showed up.  We had picked up some towels for the beach, a pail and shovel for Kristen, a mat, sun screen, treats, soda water, and more snacks.  You'd think my kids were starving ALL. THE. TIME!

After a quick stop back at the hotel to change in to our rather damp swim wear, we headed off to the beach.  Chris got this wild hair to go to Port Aransas.  It was further than planned.  And for your information, we had to have a $12 beach pass to be on the beach.  No pass required at Padres Island.  We should have just gone back there but that would have meant less time to spend at the beach.  The girls purchased two boogie boards and were set for an afternoon-o-fun.





They tried to convince me that the water was warm, but I wasn't convinced after it lapped over my feet.  Later they said, it got warm once you were in it.  Yeah, I'm not a fan of that kind of warm.  I took some pictures, looked for shells, and did a little body tanning with Misha's tank top covering my face.  After awhile, I was joined by Amy who applied tanning oil, then Chris, then Misha, and finally Kristen off and on.  Kristen and Misha enjoyed digging in the sand.  One of the few activities where they will hang out together. 

We stayed at the beach for a couple of hours, some of us accumulating a lot of sand.  It was a fine soft sand, hard to clean off.

We were all hungry and returned to the hotel to quickly shower and wash the sand off.  Some of us took longer "quick" showers than others. 

Our dinner choice for the evening was Cici's Pizza.  Not my first choice ever.


I ate more than I should have and suffered for it.  What I did enjoy about the evening was reminiscing with my girls.  We started talking about the shows they used to love and watch as little girls...PB and J Otter, Out of the Box, Sesame Street, The Big Comfy Couch, Maggie and the Ferocious Beast, Cyber Chase, Word Girl, Rescue Rangers, Tailspin, to name a few.  Sometimes they didn't remember the show at all, others it was a big, "Oh, I remember that one.  I loved...."  At the end of the evening the conversation somehow turned to the qualities they might look for in a husband:  sense of humor, handsome, kind, etc.  I especially loved one of Misha's answers, "I hope that we both feel that we married out of our league."  Isn't that a neat way to look at it? 

We also talked about keeping the romance alive, getting through the early years with children when you are so tired you can't see straight, and enjoying being married at different stages in their lives.  It was one of those moments when you take a mental picture.  Unless you're Chris.  And then you actually take a picture.


We decided to skip the hot tub since our suits were already wet and likely still sandy and just retired to bed for the evening.