There has never been a time when Amy has left the house to drive somewhere that I haven't worried just a little, especially in the beginning when she first started to drive on her own. And when the phone would ring a short time after she left, and I could see from the caller ID that it was Amy calling, my mind and heart braced for the news, "I've been in an accident." Fortunately, I hadn't had to hear those words...until Friday evening.
She had left around 6 pm to drive to Safeway where she would leave her car and Brenton would pick her up. They were driving down to Chick-fil-A and then Dicks Sporting Goods, meeting up with friends for a double date. About twenty-five minutes later, I was busy making dinner for myself and Misha as we were the only ones home for the evening. (Chris and Kristen had gone on a date together). I didn't even check the caller ID when I picked up the phone and heard Amy's voice on the line, "Mom, we've been in an accident." My Mom instinct could automatically tell Amy was barely holding it together. She went on to explain that Brenton had rear-ended another vehicle and that I needed to come and pick her up or the Paramedics were going to send her to the hospital via ambulance (apparently standard procedure if a young driver is under the age of 18). She then told me she needed to go for a minute so that the paramedic could check her over. I made sure to ask first if anyone was hurt. No.
I immediately called Chris. No answer. I called again. And again. And again. No answer. Misha tried to facetime Chris. No answer. Amy called back, and we were on our way. As we got going, Chris called me and said that he was on his way as well. He had been in the car wash and no calls came through.
He was ahead of Misha and I in the traffic. We finally saw the flashing lights of the police car, the fire engine was about to leave. I pulled onto the shoulder and drove ahead to the accident, passing all of the cars that were now slowed to a crawl. As I got out of my car, one of the firemen told me that I could drive closer to the accident so that we weren't as far away. I got back in and moved ahead, parking on the grass, well off the shoulder.
As I got out again, Amy started walking toward me. As a parent, maybe you can imagine such a moment. Cars all around, noise, the chill of the evening air, and all I was focused on was Amy's eyes that said, "I'm so glad you're here. Mom, I need you." We walked to each other on the side of the I-25 freeway, and I engulfed her in a hug. Amy immediately broke into huge sobs.
"Mom, I had my seat belt off just a minute or so before to reach something in the back. I had just barely buckled it back up. The air bags didn't go off. I would have hit the windshield!" It was a stark reminder to her that it only took a second to change a life.
Oh the tender mercies of a God who sent angels to watch over my angel.
I could tell she was in shock, shivering with a wild look in her eyes. Misha came to stand beside us, and I asked her to get me a blanket from the back of the Pilot. We wrapped Amy in the blanket, had her sit in the back of the Pilot to warm up and calm down with Misha, whose instructions were, "Love on her, please."
Kristen was still sitting in Chris' car. I got out of the car to walk toward the accident scene and realized I was cold and maybe a little on the edge of shock myself. I headed back to Kristen and asked if she had a jacket I could wear. Fortunately she had one to give me. A little snug, yet it would do.
I walked toward Brenton who was sitting in the driver's seat of his Ford Expedition filling out paperwork, alternately with holding his head in his hands. I talked to him for a few moments and then just opened the door and pulled him in to a hug. His dad had come to the scene, but was on the opposite side of the freeway. Not sure why he stayed there so long, maybe he was doing breathing exercises to calm down.
Brenton and Amy had been in freeway traffic that was slowing down. According to Amy, Brenton was driving too closely. He felt he had everything under control. He looked away for a moment, and in that time, traffic slowed considerably. Brenton rear-ended the Subaru in front of him which sustained quite a lot of damage. The Subaru hit a lady's car in from of him and she then propelled forward into a truck.
When I arrived, the truck had left the scene having not sustained any real damage. The other drivers were still on scene along with one police man. The lady's car was damaged some on the rear end, but not enough that she couldn't drive. Brenton was filling out paper work.
Amy came back to the scene having warmed up and calmed down. She and Brenton hugged. Brenton's dad arrived on the right side of the freeway. You could tell he was none too pleased with his son. I am a softie though, my heart was aching for Brenton as well. This accident would surely change things for him.
All of sudden, a dog appeared out of nowhere. It was acting crazy and then started running on to the freeway. It almost caused another accident! The owner came towards us and then realized that his dog had taken off up the freeway. The police officer was trying to catch the dog and was just as confused as we were.
We finally left the scene of the accident. Chris taking Amy and Kristen while Misha and I followed behind. We drove up to exit 229, crossed over to the north-bound side of the freeway and headed home. Amy was already starting to feel the effects of whip lash.